Whether it’s to install new pipelines or repair old ones, excavating may be a primary part of your scheduled – or emergency – plumbing services. And while some companies use mechanical equipment, hydro-excavation is a more modern method that works with greater efficiency in a variety of situations. Here, Arrow Sewer & Drain, serving customers in north and central New Jersey, discusses what this process entails and the benefits of partnering with a company that has the equipment to perform this task.
Hydro-Excavation: A Brief History
Hydro-excavation rose to popularity in Canada. While its humble beginnings can be traced back to the Gold Rush through hydraulic mining practices, hydro-excavation, as we know it today, stems from the oil and gas industries. In a region that experiences colder temperatures, this method has become highly useful for Canadian contractors who needed to penetrate frozen soil. They discovered that using hot water was a great way to complete projects quicker and easier.
Today, this method is used by plumbing, utilities, landscaping, and construction teams. In New Jersey, Arrow Sewer & Drain is one of only a few companies owning hydro-excavation equipment. We’re proud to say that this service allows us to complete projects with greater accuracy and our customers ultimately reap the benefits of this process, as well.
Visit our gallery to see what hydro-excavation equipment looks like and see our customer testimonials to get a sense of the positive reputation our team has earned through these and other services in the area.
The Hydro-Excavation Process
Also known as hydro-vac excavation, this part of the job is a fairly straightforward process. Using high-pressure water, the equipment penetrates the ground and breaks up the soil. At the same time, it applies a powerful air vacuum to pull the resulting debris (dirt slurry) from the site and place it into a large holding tank. This excavating process is suitable for a variety of applications, such as:
- Uncovering existing pipelines (daylighting)
- New line installation
- Slot trenching
- Sewer inspections and repairs
Benefits of Hydro-Excavation
Hydro-excavation is becoming increasingly popular and a preferred choice over traditional mechanical methods – and it’s easy to see why. This method brings several advantages to the plumbing crew and customer, such as:
- Project efficiency: One of the biggest benefits is its effectiveness. With this state-of-the-art equipment, our team can reach great depths and do so with a high level of precision.
- Winter usage: In winter, the temperature in NJ can dip below 0°F. But our team can use hydro-excavation equipment to soften and break through frozen soil. This ensures year-round service is available.
- Job site safety: Hydro-excavation also helps create a safer job site, reducing the risk of damaging the surrounding utility lines and other items.
- Reduced collateral damage: The precise nature of this method keeps more of the customer’s landscaping intact, which leaves less for them to revitalize when a project is complete.
- Savings: Lowered project time and risk of damage translate to valuable savings for the customer in the long run.
While unexpected plumbing issues may not be ideal, customers who work with full-service plumbing excavation companies like Arrow Sewer & Drain can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing they’re receiving the best possible service.
Work With Arrow Sewer & Drain
If you need a free estimate for an upcoming plumbing project, call the professionals at Arrow Sewer & Drain. Serving north and central New Jersey, including Somerset and Middlesex counties, we offer sewer excavation, septic tank removal, new construction plumbing installations, and other solutions. We can diagnose any possible issues you’re experiencing, give estimates for new construction builds, and recommend lasting solutions. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.